Debbie Wiener is a D.C. based interior designer who is constantly coming up with new and innovative techniques for ensuring that your home remains organized and tidy. The cornerstone to Debbie’s campaign for having a beautiful home is her revolutionary Slobproof furniture that is not only dirt resistant and water impervious, but beautiful an sophisticated as well.
She has a book that shares all this information, that I was fortunate to review!
Although, I don't consider myself a slob and the thought of my husband being a slob makes me laugh, this book had a lot of really helpful info. Debbie explains nuts and bolts on things like flooring, seating, window covering and lighting so that I can make decisions that will best fit my family and our lifestyles. She thinks neutrals is a big no-no, which I am a huge fan of, though. Here are a couple of her tips:
1. Forget the flowers- place itsy bitsy, decorative gourds and pumpkins, Christmas ornaments, dreidels or mini-footballs (for Superbowl Sunday!) in tall hurricane lamps and glass canisters. No dried leaves and flowers = less mess to clean up later.
2. Add drama with lighting, by floating flat candles in water instead of placing candles in candle sticks. No dripping wax! Place inexpensive canister “up lights” behind potted plants and furniture to light up the perimeter of your room and keep tables free and clear entertaining.
3. Think camouflage. Wine and cranberry sauce spills will ruin an ivory cloth but mix right in with brightly patterned table linens.
4. Rotate your dining room chairs and rug to hide blotches and stains under the table.
5. Add fiber to your design diet. Recover ruined upholstery with fabric that will make it through the New Year. Look for colorful, patterned heavy-weight blends that stay stable when you pull the sample and allow no light to pass through them when you hold it up.
6. No budget, no problem. Use scrubbable, low-odor, acrylic Aura paint from Benjamin Moore to make empty rooms feel warmer and older room designs seem fresher. Yes you can! Paint your ceilings sky blue, add color around your white fireplace, stripe your crown molding and accent one wall in a white room with your favorite color.
Debbie is graciously offering a copy of her book Slobproof! to Ducks in a Row readers! In order to be eligible to win this, you must leave a comment. Becoming a follower will get you a second entry (but please leave an additional comment stating you are a follower). This giveaway will go through Thursday night, January 27! Good luck!