Monday, August 31, 2009
Sunday, August 30, 2009
- tucking my little ones in to bed at night and hearing them sing me a song
- my Games magazine that comes every month
- a worn in pair of Levis (it HAS to be Levis, not anything fancy) and a white T shirt
- our trampoline
- I can french braid my babe's hair - but she is still my baby
- a great day at the temple this past week
- pre-school starts this week
- the freckles on G's nose
I can just keep going on and on. I'm in a great place right now - feeling so blessed. Have a great week.
Friday, August 28, 2009
I love playgroup. Today, it was my turn to host. The G's little friends played for a couple of hours and although they played outside, somehow, the inside is like a tornado - and only half of them were here. Oh well, a tornado that is totally worth it.
I just bought this from the Container Store- and it has changed my life. More than I liked to spend, but totally worth it.
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Sunday, August 23, 2009
- my home - love my floor plan, love my neighborhood, love that the school is up the street, the church is down the street and the park is 3 houses away.
- My Cool Friend Cheryl - we've got some fun things planned!
- Project Runway began
- downtime spent cruising the inspirational blogs
Friday, August 21, 2009
Since it's back-to-school, organize the desk, get ready for homework time - something had to happen with this drawer.
I read this somewhere and take no credit for it. I used a Costco cereal box and measured 1 3/8" all around, cut it out, stuck it in the drawer and labeled it. I did reinforce the corners with packaging tape. Worked so well, I did a couple more from other empty boxes waiting to go in the trash.
You could, if you wanted to, make these boxes really pretty, but I didn't. You could modge podge them (is that a verb?) or paint them or something else.
Now, the drawer is ready. Having a place for everything helps junk from being stashed in here- and that makes me happy.
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Monday, August 17, 2009
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Sunday, August 9, 2009
I am grateful for
- our kind neighbor, who just decided to show up two nights this week with gloves on and spent hours with Tom moving bricks from the driveway to the backyard.
- I started teaching piano lessons again this week after a two month break. I loved it, I have such great students.
- School started this week - second grade, here we come!
- I ran a half marathon yesterday and shaved 5 minutes off my time from last year - that's even including stopping for a bathroom break in the middle of it. I feel great today and am excited for my next race.
Have a great week
Thursday, August 6, 2009
- I wanted my pleats to be about 2" long. I needed a bit more for seam allowance, then doubled it. I cut strips of fabric 5" from selvage to selvage-
- Fold and press the selvage ends 1/4" long.
- Fold in half (hot dog way) and press.
- Find center and mark with a pin. Mark 1" away from center. Keep marking until you get to the end. I used a marker.
- Fold lines to meet: If you were to number the 1" marks "1, 2, 3,....," then mark #1 would meet the center, mark #3 would meet mark #2, mark #5 would meet mark #4 and so on. Press pleats as you go.
- Sew pleats to the bottom of the towel. I pin at every pleat. I had planned to sew 1/4" allowance, but decided to just sew right above the hem of the towel. When I was pinning, I noticed that my pleats were longer than the towel. I just cut it off about 1/4" longer than the towel, folded those edges in and sewed. Finish the edges of the pleats. You could do this before you even started ironing, but I forgot. I pushed the towel out of the way and zigzagged the edges.
- Press towards the towel and stitch.
For extra fun, I monogrammed "yum" - my daughter's idea. My whole house is browns, creams, whites - you know neutrals. I love the colors of the cream towel. But, for extra fun, I did the same thing on a white towel with a fun polka dot pleat. Just depends on the look you want.
Hang it in your kitchen and smile with all the compliments you receive. I have about a million friends who have just had or are having a birthday within a 2 week span. How cute will this be with a new bowl and salad tongs
For those of you non-sewers, I have some extra that I've added to my empty etsy shop. Hopefully, I'll get that up by tonight. Now that school is starting again, I think I might take some time to add things in there. I think.
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
One more thing to check off on my Master Bedroom re-do. I'm trying to do this all by myself, with a little budget every month. I've painted, gotten new bedding and sewed and hung the drapes. The blue painter's tape was where I thought we could run a chair rail, but it needs to be up another 2". We'll get to that when it is colder outside and Tom will work on projects inside. For right now, next up is to take care of the orangey night stands and make a headboard.